Temporary Public Policy for Temporary Foreign Workers

As a temporary measure, temporary foreign workers in Canada who have secured a new job offer, typically backed by a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), can get approval to start working at the new job even while the work permit application is being processed.

To be eligible, a worker must

  • be in Canada with valid status;
  • have an employer-specific work permit or have been working under a work permit exemption; and
  • have submitted an application for a new work permit with a valid job offer under either the Temporary Foreign Worker Program or the International Mobility Program.

The work permit applicant must then submit a request to IRCC. The request will be reviewed within ten days, and if approved, authorisation for the worker to start working at the new job will be sent by email.

There is no change to the role of the employer in the process for hiring foreign workers. An employer needs to have, or obtain, a valid positive LMIA from Employment and Social Development Canada, name the worker in a position on the LMIA, and notify Service Canada. For an employer-specific, LMIA-exempt situation, the employer needs to submit an offer of employment through the International Mobility Program Employer Portal.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2020/05/government-announces-help-for-employers-to-meet-their-labour-needs.html

Need an immigration lawyer?

Contact us or request a free consultation below.

Request A

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
A part of

Crease Harman LLP, Barristers & Solicitors