Hong Kong Pathway Program

As of February 8th, 2021, certain Hong Kong residents can apply for open work permits in Canada. These measures apply to Hong Kong residents who hold Hong Kong special administrative region (SAR) or British National (Overseas) (BNO) passports.

These permits will be valid for up to three years. To be eligible, a Hong Kong resident must have graduated with a Canadian post-secondary diploma or degree in the last five years, or hold an equivalent foreign credential. The post-secondary diploma or degree program must be a minimum of two years.

Hong Kong residents presently in Canada, including students, workers, and visitors, may apply online from within Canada. Those applying from abroad remain subject to current COVID-19-related travel restrictions and may not currently be able to come to Canada unless they have a job offer or meet a travel exemption and comply with all public health requirements.

The Canadian government has reiterated its commitment to providing further pathways to permanent residence for Hong Kong residents later this year. Hong Kong residents at risk of persecution who are outside of Chinese territory may also be eligible for Canada’s existing resettlement programs, including the Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program and the Government-Assisted Refugees Program.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2021/02/canada-launches-hong-kong-pathway-that-will-attract-recent-graduates-and-skilled-workers-with-faster-permanent-residency.html

Need an immigration lawyer?

Contact us or request a free consultation below.

Request A

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
A part of

Crease Harman LLP, Barristers & Solicitors